- Lectures: 2
- Duration: 10 weeks
The course gives an insight into the historical development of Buddhism and deals with the contemporary religions and society of 6th BCE. Students will derive logical understanding of the life of the Buddha from the birth to Mahaparinirvana. Besides the course focuses on the expansion of Buddhism during historic periods of the great rulers, the ancient Buddhist history further relates the contribution of the Buddha’s great disciples to the enrichment of Buddhist doctrine preached by the Buddha. The course provides details of schism in Buddhism giving rise to Eighteen Nikayas, Mahayana and Vajrayana schools following the debates and divisions in the historic Buddhist
Councils held at different periods after the Mahaparinirbana of the Buddha.
This course is designed to impart knowledge of the evolutionary history of Buddhism from the early life of Buddha to the age of major contributors for the development of Buddhism. Its’ objective is to make students familiar with the origin, development and expansion of Buddhism in ancient India and abroad. This course is divided into five units beginning with introductory background in unit first. The other units are concerned with the origin and development ofBuddhism containing Buddha’s early life to Mahaparinirvana.
Overall objective of the Research Methodology is to make student capable to perform indepth research of following Objectives
1. To prepare research proposal, conduct a research and prepare research paper as prescribed by university)
2. To pursue research independently
3. To understand techniques and art in social science research relating to Buddhist Studies
4. To create own new vision on subject title with respect to Buddhist Studies
5. To identify and answer the research questions/problems